Defense and security
In the field of defense and security, in accordance with his constitutional and legal competencies, the President of the Republic of North Macedonia, as Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Republic of North Macedonia, appoints and dismisses the Chief of General Staff of the Army of the Republic of North Macedonia, and appoints and dismisses generals. He is also President of the Security Council of the Republic of North Macedonia and appoints three of the members of the Council. The President also appoints and dismisses the Director of the Intelligence Agency.
In the exercise of his competencie in the field of defense, the President of the Republic of North Macedonia and Commander-in-Chief of the Army:
- adopts a defense strategy of the Republic;
- adopts a defense plan of the Republic;
- adopts an assessment of the possible military and other dangers that threaten the sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity of the Republic;
- prepares documents for the functioning of the President in a state of war;
- prescribes the measures of readiness and orders their implementation;
- prescribes the organization and formation of the Army;
- adopt documents for the use of the Army and orders its deployment;
- gives consent to the documents for development of the Army;
- determines the measures for increasing the combat readiness of the Army and orders their implementation;
- orders mobilization of the Army;
- prescribes the command in the Army;
- adopt regulations related to combat readiness, armed fight and mobilization of the Army;
- appoints senior officers in formation positions, generals and promotes and dismisses generals;
- appoints and dismisses defense attaches and military representatives upon the proposal of the Minister of Defense.
In performing his functions in the field of defense, the President of the Republic and Commander-in-Chief of the Army adopts bylaws.
The President of the Republic orders the participation of the Army in removing the consequences of the crisis, state of emergency or war.
The President is actively involved in all security processes within his competence, striving to address security issues in accordance with the latest modern security trends.