Defense Strategy of the Republic of North Macedonia
The Defense Strategy of the Republic of North Macedonia provides guidelines for the functioning and development of the defense system and derives from the Constitution of the Republic of North Macedonia, permanent commitments from the National Security and Defense Concept, the Law on Defense and the strategic commitment of the Republic of North Macedonia for integration into the Euro-Atlantic structures.
The Strategy identifies the key features of the modern security environment, our defense policy, provides guidelines for adaptation of defense system entities, the necessary resources and defense capabilities needed to achieve it.
In accordance with the obligations and responsibilities that arise from the membership of the Republic of North Macedonia in the collective security systems, the Strategy provides guidelines for:
- increasing system resilience in dealing with risks and threats;
- improving existing and developing new capabilities necessary for the efficient and effective functioning of the system;
- ensuring greater transparency in all entities and responsibility in the protection of defense interests and in achieving defense goals;
- synchronization and improvement of defense planning in accordance with NATO and EU standards;
- greater effectiveness and rational use of human, material, and financial resources;
- increasing the awareness and trust of the population about the importance of the defense system in the development of a democratic society.
The Strategy is the basis for further development of the defense system and advancement of the long-term defense planning process.
The Defense Strategy was enacted by President Stevo Pendarovski in March 2020.